Friday, February 26, 2010

If You Want To Talk Berry...

There are two little ladies that have changed my life forever. I like to call them my hussies, because that is how they live their lives. This post probably won't make any sense to most of you, but I felt like writing it for record sake.

I was blessed to be given the opportunity to be a twin. I don't know what I did to deserve such a gift, but I am eternally grateful I did it. I can't imagine life without my Chels Lyn. To call her my best friend just doesn't seem enough. My soul mate more like it, but people think that is supposed to be a significant other, so I'm stuck there too. So "my twin" seems to cover it the best. That word just means you were born at the same time as someone else to most people, but not to me. Whenever people ask "Is that your sister." I reply "She's my twin." Which sometimes follows with "Well then she is your sister, right?" Yes people, that does technically make her my sister, but she is my twin which makes it even better.
When Chels and I turned 18 we were given the greatest gift of all time. Yes, I did say that being a twin was the greatest gift of all time, and it is, but this ties for first. Chels was at a doctor's appointment, but the rest of us in Vocal Ensemble were setting up for the Renaissance Feast. My friend Jodi Nicholson said "Come with me." While beaming the entire way. She held my hand and pulled me up the stairs to the back of the choir room where a light blue pet carrier was sitting. I took a step back and gasped. I had been begging for a cat for YEARS and this was finally the moment... I looked in to see the most beautiful mess I had ever seen. Yes, mess. I didn't know what a torti was at the time, or the fact that blue torti's were so incredibly rare. But there she was! My eyes filled with tears, and I hugged all of my friends who contributed to this amazing gift. Chels got to school a few minutes later, so we did the same to her, and she was excited and nervous. Chels has this thing where she has an anxiety attack anytime we get a new pet. It lasts for about 12 hours and then she is good to go.

So I sent Chels and Valentine home to take a nap (since they weren't doing well after their doctor's appointment). I was giddy the whole rest of the day. I finally got home to my girls. We ended up hiding her in our room for 1 week, but then she slipped out of our room one day and bumped into Lynn in the hallway (way to go Val). There was no getting around our secret then... :)

Valentine ended up being the missing link to Chels and I that we never knew we had. When I look back at our time together it seems like a dream. We were always together. Whether it be laughing our heads off, eating like pigs, or napping for hours on end, it was PERFECT. Absolutely perfect. We didn't get to have our little Valentine for very long, and most days it doesn't seem like that period of time was actually real, but I am certainly grateful for it either way. Dream or not.
I hope this didn't freak anyone out too much. I just love my Chels and Val so much, and am so eternally grateful that they are mine. They are my very berry best friends. They make my dreams come true, calm me down, and just plain make me content. There is no way to describe my gift, but I hope this post did it some sort of justice. LOVE YOU HUSSIES!

3 comments:

Chels said...

First of all that is the greatest title to a post of all time!

Second, thank you for that sweet email. I am so grateful for you and Valentine too. The good news is we enjoyed every moment of High School and didn't take any of it for granted...but I still miss the freedom it brought (I don't miss the drama, but I miss the fun!)

I love you Megan Lee!

Sarah said...

Wow! you've been writing a whole lot and I've been a fool for not reading it. I had no idea about your abdominal pain and the pregnancy test?! We never talk anymore... I guess that's why you have Chels and I have Lucy. You get the grown up talk and I can talk about how stickers are "way cool".

luvoo ~ xoxoxo ~ mwah!

Chels said...

Stickers are way cool...I'll make Meg talk about stickers tonight, ok? Ok. :)