There is one day from my past that I truly believed changed mine and Chelsea's future as we would know it. We had just moved from our Grams' house in West Valley up to our new house in Cottonwood Heights. Though we didn't have much money, my mom somehow scrounged up enough money to pay movers for our big move (did I mention that my mom HATES moving, and as this was our third move in a very few months, she did not want to do the work again).It was June of the summer before Chels and I would be entering 4th grade. My mom instructed Chels and I to go and play in the yard so as to keep out of the way of the movers. This was no problem for us because the yards that surrounded our new giant house were FUN! We were just laughing and playing when a lady squoze through a tiny crevice between a chain-link fence and a wooden fence. Chels and I said "Hi." And she introduced herself. She said "My name is Niki, what are your names?" We told her, and I am sure gave her an earful of information she did not ask for as well, and then she continued "How old are you girls?" We told her, and she said "I have a daughter your age that I would like you to meet."
She came back a few minutes later with Jessica in tow, and a hammer in hand. Chels and I bombarded Jessica with questions and noise while Niki proceeded to tare down a few planks of wood from the fence that lead into their yard. She wasn't worried about resale value, or appearances, she just knew that having that fence open would be vital to us becoming friends. And it sure was. I think I spent more time in the Ford's house while I was growing up then I did in my own.
I am so grateful that Niki did that that day in June so many years ago. Jessica has become a sister to Chels and I. We truly were and are a part of their family. I am also grateful that Niki was such a courageos woman. She did everything full-steam ahead. If it needed to be done, or if she wanted it to be done, she did it. No thinking or waiting, she just went right on and did it. I do not believe I would be the woman I am today without her influence. She taught me to be fearless, and most importantly, that I could do anything I wanted to. Whether it be sawing down a tree for hours on end to teach someone a valuable lesson, or any other thing that you might find amusing. I am so glad I had the opportunity of knowing her, and that I still get the pleasure of calling Jessica my best friend.
As a side note to the picture, that is truly the fence this story is about. Almost one year ago my sister Marissa moved back into the basement of our Cottonwood Heights home. I made Jesse take this picture with his phone. It isn't the best, but you can still make out the new pieces of wood compared to the old, weather warn ones that are original to the yard. I had to take a picture for memory's sake.
5 comments:
Awesome...
Love this story. I need to remember it, as we will be moving a lot in the next few years.
You almost made me cry! Those losers who bought my house didn't appreciate the significance of that hole in the fence. Lame. When are we hanging out?
Jess said she "almost" cried. Well, I cried. Almost from the start. I vividly remember that day too and I am so grateful that even though many events in that house were messy, the fact that we ended up next to the Ford's was no mistake. And that fact that April lived in the midst of it all was fabulous news too! We were so lucky to grow up there! I miss sweet Niki!
you all know how heartless I am so "almost crying" is just as good as actually crying :)
Post a Comment