Friday, March 7, 2008

THIS IS THE GUY


So, I am always telling people I want an English Mastiff and they have NO IDEA what I am talking about. So, I have decided to put a little info here to inform you all. This might be boring to some of you, but it is highly interesting to me. Here are some breed standards for English Mastiffs and a picture above. Only I want a brindle (tiger striped) not a fawn like in the picture. I spend much of my free time looking through rescue organizations for dogs/puppies up for adoption. I would give anything to have my baby dog RIGHT NOW! But, due to the stupid HOA we belong to, which I unknowingly joined, I can't have this baby til we sell. If it were up to me we would move just for the dog. That might seem sad to some of you, "She runs her life around a dog" you might say, but he is all I want. I don't know if Q knew what he was getting into when he married me... Love you Quenten!

SIZE:

The AKC standard height (per their website) for this breed is 30 inches (minimum) at the shoulder for males and 27½ inches (minimum) at the shoulder for females. A typical male can weigh 160-230+ pounds, a typical female would weigh 140-190+ pounds.

TEMPERMENT:

It is a well-mannered house pet but needs sufficient room for exercise and activity. This is an extremely loyal breed, though not excessively demonstrative. It is exceptionally devoted to its family and good with children.The three words that best describe their temperment would be gentle, loyal and affectionate.

3 comments:

Trips' Dad said...

I can't imagine having a dog that outweighs you by 100 pounds... amazing... that would be SO cool, though I don't think I could ever do it... we would visit and the trips would LOVE it. (In addition to their mini Dachshund, they just got a black Lab puppy to train up to be a seeing-eye dog for Ben, should he need it in the future.) Happy planning!

Jokilyn said...

Neil and I were walking in Hyde Park in London last year and we saw a lady with the BIGGEST English Mastiff I've ever seen!! She was on the other side of the park, so we never got close enough for a picture, but this things head came up to her chest - easily! It was beautiful!! If I'd known you loved them so much I would have tried to get a picture of it. They are beautiful dogs!! I'm a lover of big dogs as well! :)

Max Fam said...

hi Megan and Quenten...found your blog on Ryan Galbraiths. Wanted to say hi! come see us at
louisvillemaxfields.blogspot.com

Heidi (Broadwater) Maxfield