Friday, October 15, 2010

GRATEFUL!!!


So this is not a happy story, but one that I am entirely grateful for at this point. If you are not in the mood for something that isn't light-hearted and fun, don't read this.


It was Tuesday, October 12th, at about 4:40pm. I was still at work and had just gotten off of the a teleconference (how important does that make me sound?!). I called Chels to check in because she had written me an email telling me how bad her abdomen was hurting. She has been going through a hellish-bout of Krohn's for the last 6 months or so. Her meds are not keeping it under control anymore. This is something that happens with her disease commonly, but we were hoping that wouldn't be the case for her. Sadly, it is her lot, so Dr. Trowbridge is doing his darndest to get us answers and solutions (thanks in part to our friend Dr. Nelson who Chels and I have talked about countless times).


Now, back to the story. I was talking to Chels as she was leaving work. She had me on her bluetooth that overtakes her car speakers so she can be hands free (I love this about her new little car). She was telling me how she was contemplating going to my house, but then decided against it and was going to go home instead. Right then she yelled "OH NO!" And I heard a horrifying CRASH. I then heard her yell "OUCH! OUCH! I'M HURT!" I yelled back at her "WHERE ARE YOU?" And she replied "Between 53rd and State..." And then nothing.... her phone turned off.


As you can imagine, I grabbed my cell phone and my purse and ran out the door. I tried to follow all of the laws and rules of the road as I drove toward 5300 South. I was not crying or shaking at this point, just praying out loud that my Chels would be okay. I called Jesse right then and said "Chelsea just got hit! I don't know where she is but I am going to find her!" He said he would head my direction and that I needed to call him as soon as I found her.


I drove up and down 5300 south from State Street to about 500 West. I could not find her anywhere. I called Jesse in a panic again and told him I just couldn't find her. He told me to take a deep breath and say a prayer and then I would find her. And that's what I did. I took a deep breath, said a prayer that I would find her, and then continued on driving. At that precise moment there was an ambulance with its lights on heading on the on-ramp South bound of I-15. I knew at that moment that that ambulance was for her.


And so, I followed. Nervous at the scene I would find awaiting me. I saw the back of Chels' car and pulled over behind the ambulance that was behind it. I tried not to run, but I'm sure I did. The police officer walked towards me and said "Are you Chelsea's twin?" I breathlessly replied "Yes!" And she said "She is going to be okay. They are just getting her ready to go on the stretcher." (which didn't comfort me much at all but bless her heart for trying) I got to the passenger side of Chels' car and the paramedics were explaining what was going to happen. She wasn't allowed to move her body at all, so she looked as far over as she could without turning her head and said "I'm sorry you had to hear that."


Now let me just say, that is who Chelsea is. She is being prepared to go on a backboard and stretcher, and she is concerned about ME. That's ridiculous, but I love it all at the same time. I didn't get to accompany her in the ambulance because the officer didn't want my car to be sitting on the side of the freeway unattended. At some point during the commotion I called Jesse and told him where we were. He got there remarkably fast (apparently he drove in the emergency land to get to her, and I love that he did).


I will cut this short now, and spare you the remainder of the details. The point is, that though she is beyond sore and in pain because of soft tissue damage, all in all my Chels Lyn is okay. I'm sure a long road of physical therapy is in our future, and many more painful days to come as well. But, I am so grateful to the Lord for keeping her as safe as he could in the accident. And I am grateful that he lead me to her. Having a twin is the greatest blessing I have been given in my life, and I am eternally grateful for it.


Thank you to the fabulous paramedics who took such loving care of her. And to the both of them for joking around with her to help her feel comfortable. Thank you to the police officer who kept Chels calm and was gentle and kind to her. And lastly, although not the nicest people I've met in the world, thank you to the doctor and his nurse who helped her in the E.R. I truly do appreciate the gifts that all of them have been given to help people in the scariest moments of their lives.

4 comments:

Down By the Bey's said...

My goodness, I had no idea! I am so glad that she is okay! That is very scary! How awesome that you were there for her. I hope she feels better. Love you guys!

kathym said...

I visited your Mom on Wednesday and she didn't say a thing about this!! I am SO sorry for Chelsea and so thankful that she has a perfect twin sister and wonderful husband, Mom and family to help her. Thank heavens you got there asap, Meg. Please keep us updated on her progress. Love You!
Aunt Kathy

Britt said...

Wow! So glad she's alright. How scary that time was for you before you found her!!!

Perschon Family said...

i am so late reading this!! i can only imagine how awful that was for you to hear it! and yes, that is totally chels to be worried about you as she was getting put on a stretcher. i'm SO glad that she is going to be ok and like others who have commented, i'm so glad she has you and jesse to take care of her! i'm just up the street so i hope she will call me if she needs anything!!